When you create a custom entity in Microsoft Dynamics CRM, it is automatically assigned a default icon, and all custom entities by default use the same icon. If you create multiple custom entities, it can be useful to change the icon associated with one or more custom entities to help users differentiate between them.
In order to change the entity icon, you will need to have CRM administrator security access. Here are the steps to do it.
How to Change a Custom Entity Icon
- Navigate to “Settings — Customizations
- Click on Customize the System
- Within the default solution, expand the Entities folder and locate the custom entity you want to update the icon for.
- Click on the Entity name to gain access to the entity properties
- In the Ribbon, click on the button called Update Icons
- You’ll need to create two new Web Resources. 1 for the 16×16 icon file and the other for the 32×32 pixel icon file.
- Click on the lookup button for the new 16×16 pixel web resource. Scroll to the bottom and select Look Up More Records.
- In the next Lookup window, click on the button called
- Give your web resource a name and set the remaining fields appropriately.
- You will have needed to create your icon files prior to this step. One file that is 16×16 and another that is 32×32.
- Browse to select the 16×16 pixel PNG file you want to use for your icon.
- Click SAVE
- Click PUBLISH
- Close the window
- In the look up record window, Click Add.
- Repeat steps 6-15 to create your 32×32 pixel web resource
- Once both web resources have been selected in the New Icons window, click OK.