In sales and marketing it’s not only about how you generate new leads but how you nurture or manage them along the customer journey. The ultimate goal is to take your list of unqualified leads to become marketing qualified leads (MQL), then moving to sales qualified leads (SQL) with opportunities that will fill your pipeline.
But, how are you managing those leads before they become marketing qualified leads. Do you understand your target market and more importantly your target buyer? Is your sales and marketing aligned? Do you have the right technology like CRM or Marketing Automation in place to help you achieve your goals?
Here is 20 lead management statistics to consider as you continue to enhance your sales and marketing lead management strategy.
- 49% of surveyed respondents said “sales qualified leads generated” is the most useful metric for measuring lead generation performance. Return on investment was second, with 40%; cost per lead was third, with 37%; sales closing rates were fourth, with 36%. (Ascend2)
- When asked what are the most important objectives for an effective lead generation strategy, 70% of surveyed respondents said to improve lead quality; 58% said to increase sales revenue; 54% said to increase the number of leads; 25% said to improve ROI. (Ascend2)
- 40% of marketing, sales, and business professionals admit that a lack of an effective strategy is the most challenging obstacle to lead generation success. (Ascend2)
- 68% of highly effective and efficient marketers are more likely than all other marketers to identify lead scoring based on content and engagement as one of their primary drivers of revenue contribution. (The Lenskold and Pedowitz Groups)
- 80% of marketing automation adopters saw their number of leads increase, and 77% saw the number of conversions increase. (VentureBeat Insight)
- Nurtured leads produce, on average, a 20% increase in sales opportunities versus non-nurtured leads. (DemandGen Report)
- Best-in-Class companies are 67% more likely to use a marketing automation platform. (Aberdeen Group)
- 83% of B2B marketers use content marketing to achieve their lead generation goals (CMI)
- The three most common B2B lead generation strategies are email marketing (78%), event marketing (73%) and content marketing (67%). (VentureBeat)
- Nurtured leads make 47% larger purchases than non-nurtured leads (Online Marketing Institute)
- Only 44% of companies are using any kind of lead scoring system. (Decision Tree)
- If you follow up with online leads within 5 minutes, you’re 9 times more likely to convert them (InsideSales.com)
- The most important strategic goals of a marketing automation strategy are increasing lead generation (61%), lead nurturing (57%) and sales revenue (47%). (Ascend2)
- Before finalizing a product purchase, 94% of B2B buyers research online. (MarketingProfs)
- 70% of B2B marketers claim that videos are more effective than other content when it comes to converting users to qualified leads. (Vidyard)
- Outbound leads cost 39% more than inbound leads. (Hubspot)
- Strategic landing pages are used by 68% of B2B businesses to acquire leads. (Marketo)
- More than 79% of marketing leads don’t convert to sales with the lack of lead nurturing as the leading cause. (MarketingSherpa)
- 68% of B2B companies are still struggling with lead generation. (CSO Insights vis Lattice Engines)
- A CRM system is believed by 84% of companies to be beneficial in determining the quality of leads. (Demand Metric Research Corporation)
If you need help analyzing, implementing or integrating marketing automation or CRM solutions or just getting (back) on track, Ledgeview Partners is here to help. Learn more about the all the services we offer.
If you like these stats (and you should), download the complete eBook “Fast Facts – An Amazing Compendium of Marketing & Sales Statistics” that feature valuable research on:
- Blogs and Social Media
- Content Marketing
- Data and Analytics
- Email Marketing
- Lead Management
- Marketing Automation