As a Dynamics CRM administrator, you (or your users) may run into a situation where you need to have a field that can look up either a contact or an account, but at the same time you do not want to create two lookup fields within the same form.
With the recent Update 1 release, now, with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016 there is a new field type option called “Customer” which is a lookup field to both accounts and contacts within the same field. CRM Admins can utilize this new field on any system or custom entity.
Here is how to set up and use the new field type “customer”:
1. Go to Settings
2. Under Settings go to Customizations
3. Select a Solution or Customize the System
4. Go to the entity you wish to add the field to.
5. Go to Fields
6. Select New
7. Fill out required information
8. Under Data Type, Select Customer
9. Save the new field.
10. Put the field on a form.
11. Publish customizations
Note: When using the Look Up Record will be defaulted to Account, users will have to change to Contact when looking for a specific contact.
* Otherwise, when just searching in the field with the wild card, it will find both accounts and contacts.