Microsoft Dynamics 365/CRM Outlook App offers a method to synchronize and track your Outlook emails, appointments, and tasks with Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, Cases, and more Dynamics 365 Entities.
Dynamics 365 Users who utilize the Outlook App, or are replacing their Outlook Client with the Outlook App need to configure these users with Security Role Permissions.
How? We explain below!
As new App functionality is released, the permissions are assigned through the “My Apps” in the Settings menu.
Here’s how to get started …
The security role being used by the user must have “Read” and “Write” privileges on the following:
- Mailbox in the Business Management Tab – Needs “Read” and “Write” privileges at user-level or higher
- Use Dynamics 365 App for Outlook, and must be set to “Organization” in the Business Management Tab
- Entity: Read Access at the Organization Level under the Customization Tab
- Field: Read Access at the Organization Level under the Customization Tab
- Relationship: Read Access at the Organization Level under the Customization Tab
- System Application MetaData: Read Access at the Organization Level under the Customization Tab
- System Form: Read Access at the Organization Level under the Customization Tab
- User Application MetaData: Read Access at the user-level or higher under the Customization Tab
- View: Read Access at the Organization Level under the Customization Tab
- Model-Driven App: Read Access at Organization Level under the Customization Tab
- Provide Access to the Outlook App in the “My Apps” section for all necessary Security Roles
You will want to do this when you are ready to have all users utilize the Outlook App. To do this, follow these steps …
- Navigate to Settings > Email Configuration > Email Configuration Settings
- Set Email Configuration to the below (pictured) Configuration
To set this up, follow these steps …
- Navigate to Settings > Email Configuration > Mailboxes, Change the “View” to “Active Mailboxes”
- In the view, check that the Server Profile is set to Exchange Online and that Incoming, Outgoing and Appointment, Contacts and Tasks are being processed by Server Side Sync
- NOTE: You can update desired mailboxes all at once by check-marking the desired mailboxes, and click “Apply Default Email Settings” if you set up your Email Configuration Settings as above
- Check-mark the Mailboxes
- Click “Approve Email”
- NOTE: This must be done by a Global Admin in Office 365
- Check-mark “Mailboxes”
- Click on “Test and Enable Mailboxes”
- NOTE: To ensure this is working for your organization, you will want to open up each mailbox and click “Test and Enable” while ignoring the check-box
- Once you receive all 3 Successes, you can move on to the Deployment part of the process
To finish things up and start the deployment process, follow these steps …
- Navigate to Settings > Dynamics 365 App for Outlook
- Each person must have a “Yes” enabled for “Incoming Email” and enabled for “ACT” columns
- Check-mark the names you want to add to the Outlook App, unless you want to utilize the “Automatically Add App to Outlook” feature
- Click “Add App to Outlook”
- The process will take about 5, to 15 minutes to complete
- Once the status says “Added to Outlook”, you’re done!
Do you want more Dynamics tips and best practices like this?
Join our next Microsoft Dynamics 365/CRM user group webinar, or catch up with some of our most recent ones when you watch on-demand! See the schedule and register here.